Margaret H. Ley Adult Literacy Program at Neuhaus Education Center
Since 1980, Neuhaus Education Center has provided professional development for literacy teachers in Houston. Our mission is to prevent reading failure by providing teachers with professional development in evidence-based methods of literacy instruction. This includes supporting adult literacy providers in their mission to provide effective literacy instruction to their adult learners.
Margaret H. Ley is a major benefactor of the Neuhaus adult literacy program. In 2008, the program was renamed in her honor to recognize her many contributions to Neuhaus as an adult teacher, a benefactor, Board President, and Lifetime Trustee.
Our goals are three-fold:
- Provide evidence-based professional development for adult literacy providers
- Online and in-house classes for teachers are listed on our website
- Maximize the reading, spelling, comprehension skills of our enrolled adult students by providing evidence-based reading instruction appropriate for the adult learner.
- Continuing education classes for adults 18 and older are offered in the fall & spring.
- Develop a virtual classroom for “Next Generation Learners.”